Part 65 - Singapore

The famous Raffles hotel, where beer is £100 a pint (Probably. I didn't actually go in)

The bus trip from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore was uneventful (apart from the driver criticising me for drinking a coffee in public during Ramadan whilst he was smoking a cigarette). At the border, I was a wee bit worried about the chewing gum I'd left in my bag, but it turns out it's only illegal to sell it, not to actually smuggle it into the country. Besides, the border staff were much more concerned with the passports of the Iranian people on the bus - so much so that the driver was up for leaving them behind but thankfully they got let in at the last minute. 

Despite it being overcast/raining for the entirety of my short visit, Singapore is a very lovely city/country. Impressive buildings and impeccably clean, it's also quite pricey compared to KL. My accommodation was rather quirky, an e-sports arena that doubled as a hotel, and what it lacked in windows and room to swing to a cat in, it made up for by being quite comfortable and having some of the fastest internet I've ever witnessed. 

And it helped compensate for the fact that I was never allowed bunk beds as a kid

There were three parkruns to choose from in Singapore, although the closest one was 6km away so it was an early yet humid start for old Richie. Of course, I got there only to find it was cancelled, but I went for a run anyway with some nice South Africans and got to took a few photos of the Singapore skyline before getting utterly drenched on the road home. 

The Marina Bay Sands hotel and the Singapore Flyer on the left

After I'd dried out, I fancied climbing to the top of something tall and taking photos. Sadly, there's no big hills to climb in Singapore, so I had to settle for a tall building, which they don't let you climb either. Anyway, the Marina Bay Sands hotel is three towers with a big boaty thing/viewing platform on the top. 

I stole this photo off the internet. I couldn't be arsed walking far enough away to get it one shot.

One short sweaty walk and fast elevator ride later, I was marvelling at the incredible views from up high, and the incredibly high prices in the cafĂ©. 


Much as I couldn't care less about Formula 1, the idea of street circuits fascinates me (I've been in both Melbourne and Monaco when they've been setting up for the race), I'd have liked to have witnessed the Singapore Grand Prix that takes place at night. 

The main grandstand (the colourful thing) holds 27,000 alone. Football matches sometimes take place in front of it as well as F1 races (but not at the same time). 

I spent the rest of my time wandering about taking photos of nice things, not even sure what they were half the time.. 



I know what this is though. You can get boat rides in a shopping centre. 

When it was time to leave, Singapore airport was so nice, I forgot to take any photos of it. Off to Bangkok next. 

Comments