Part 76 - Culture in Seoul

Mate, any chance you could get out the way for a moment so I can take my picture?

Seoul is a massive city, so there was no shortage of things to see and do. A few things near my accommodation was Bukchon Hanok model village, a maze of hilly streets and traditional Korean homes. 

Sadly you can't just wander in and have a snoop around people's houses

I wasn't really sure if I was looking at the "best" streets and village, but suddenly I stumbled upon the Bukchon Observatory (and Tea Museum) where for 6,000 Won (sounds like a fortune, but in reality it's about £3.50) you get a free cup of tea, lovely views, and a chance to chill in a traditional tea place. The tea was a bit shite (and no, I didn't ask for a cup of PG Tips with milk), but the surroundings were very relaxing.



Shoes aff

The tea museum wasn't really a museum as such ...

... but it did have a few oddities ...

This is where PG Tips got their ideas from

... including a collection of teaspoons to celebrate every Olympic games from 1896 - 1988 (when South Korea hosted the games). 

Nothing says Olympic Games like a set of commemorative teaspoons
 
And what better way to remember the horror of Hiroshima than with a commemorative teaspoon

Not far away was the National Folk Museum of Korea which celebrates the history and lifestyle of the Korean people. It would have probably been more meaningful to local people, but I did spot a few noteworthy exhibits ...

Bad Luck Preventer Kite. Could have done with one of these in Vegas / Vancouver / Bangkok 

Koreans seem to have a ceremony for everything. Even getting a nickname or getting a hair bun.

Sir and me in a traditional Korean school

Elsewhere in Seoul, Annaliisa and I found a very friendly pub called Brew 3.14 where all the bar staff seemed to be European, and as usual, speak perfect English.

£10 well spent

The Ihwa mural village was a wee bit disappointing, although I'm not sure we found all of them, and apparently a couple have been painted over by locals, fed up with tourists peering through their windows.

Such a shame Annaliisse lost a leg whilst acquiring those angel wings

On Sunday, I decided to have a wander round Gyeongbokgung Palace which was built in the 14th century and housed the Joseon Royal Family for several centuries. When I turned up, it was absolutely rammed. I've no idea what was going on, but there were literally thousands of people dressed in traditional Korean costumes which made wandering round the site very enjoyable. 


They also what I reckon was perhaps the Korean version of on Orange March (sadly the guy doesn't bang his drum in this video but when he did, it would have woken the dead). There was actually a large speaker explaining in Korean and English what was going on, but it might as well have been in Korean and Klingon for the amount I could understand of it. 

All very enjoyable (except my shoebox of a hotel), but time to move on. I had to abandon a trip to Japan due to my dodgy trial vaccine, but instead I was hopping on the train to Gyeongju.

Comments