Part 102 - Bak 2 Skool - Medellin

Apologies for the lack of updates recently (I've actually got a job these days!)

I had decided I wasn't quite fluent enough in Spanish yet (or at all), so I signed up for another week in my language school (called Blink for reasons I can't fathom). This time, I decided to actually stay in the school rather than do the 6km hike each day from Hugo and Stella's. 

Every school day consists of 4 hours of pretty intense grammar, most of which I'll never get to use in the wild. And looking at this picture, I've no idea what half of it even means. I'll never become a polyglot at this rate. 

This might as well as be in Greek

Tejo

As well as getting to hang about with a bunch of people half my age, Blink also puts on several social events every week. One of these events is Tejo, a traditional Colombian sport that involving gunpowder and beer. It's a bit like bowls or curling, except you throw a big rock and try to make the target explode. 

All you need to know is that I got the top score and everyone carried me out the arena on their shoulders (not quite true, but I was one of only three people to get a monoña which earned me a free beer and the hushed respect of my peers). 

Proof

Here's a video of me failing to repeat the feat. Still, as you can see my disappointment at missing the target, you can't deny my heart and commitment to the game.

Big Hill (whose name I've forgotten)

We also climbed a big hill. Not much more to say about it really, except that we got warned not to climb the hill on our own, as you might get robbed at gunpoint, which sadly added a bit of excitement to the Sunday morning saunter. 

At the bottom of the big hill


At the top of the big hill

Here's a video from the top. 
I was a wee bit out of breath at the top, so I resolved to get back into daily running. Of course, not a day later, I managed to do this to my toe trying to walk into a building, so that's the fitness plan put on hold again.

At least I didn't do it in front of a huge crowd of people

Food!

We also took a trip to the local fruit market, where we got to try a number of different fruits - most of whose names I've now forgotten.
 
Click to expand ...

There's definitely maracuyá, dragon fruit, and pitaya in there, as well as something that was dangerously close to being a tomato but ended up being one of the nicest fruits I tried. 

I also got to fulfil one of my life's ambitions and try Mazamorra. It was every bit as bland as I thought it might be.

Mazamorra. Every bit as unexciting as it looks

Rather more excitingly, Hugo taught me how to create his world famous hamburguesas, which I've been eating for breakfast every day I've stayed with them. Unfortunately, the making of the hamburguesas involves the use of some heavy-duty machinery, so I don't think I'll be making my own any time soon. 


As much as I love Medellin, I decided I needed to explore the country a bit more. So, in the next chapter, I visit Salento (not the town in Italy), Armenia (not the country), and Finlandia (also not the country). 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great as usual,but did we have to have a photo of your big toe!!!
keep on blogging
Jackie xxx