Part 92 - 24 hours in Keflavik, Iceland

Thanks to the vagaries of the modern world, it's somehow cheaper to fly to Iceland, spend the night in a hotel, then fly on to Canada, rather than just fly direct to Canada. The airline was called Play Airlines, and while they sound like a, ahem fly-by-night outfit (they don't offer you so much as a glass of water gratis), both the flight to Iceland and the following day's flight to Canada arrived 30-60 minutes early with minimal faff.

Sadly, 24 hours isn't enough to even get to the nice bits of Iceland, so I spent the night in town near the airport, Keflavik, where there isn't a whole lot to do, except marvel at how unvaried and expensive their food menus are. 

Actually, that's not quite true, there was this:

You can just make out the slightly more exciting city of Reykjavik in the distance

You can also visit the cave of a giantess, made popular by a series of children's books called Sigga og skessan í fjallinu (that's Icelandic, just in case you think a cat walked over my keyboard). 

My accommodation was nice and clean, although the walls were so pathetically thin that the big guy snoring his head off in the next room might as well have been tucked up in bed beside me. 

I'm also not quite sure what effect they were trying to achieve but they've definitely nailed it

I leapt out of bed the next day, eager to go for a run and explore a lighthouse I'd missed the day before. Sadly, I barely made it past the front door on my run before being driven back by the wind and rain, so I went home, wrapped up in the warmest clothes I brought with me, and set off exploring ... 

Where I discovered Iceland's wettest bench ...

The lighthouse was a wee bit underwhelming. I'm no expert, but I think to qualify as a lighthouse, you need to be able to live in it, and I wouldn't like to spend long in this effort. Still, it gets bonus points for its bright yellow paintwork. 
It took all of five seconds to "explore"

I also found a sculpture of a bird. It really was all go. I don't think you need to be a professional lip-reader to know what I'm saying here...
Rather foolishly, my warmest clothes also doubled as my travelling clothes, so it was a slightly soggy Richie that squelched into Reykjavik airport and onto a plane for the next leg of his trip, NOTL!

Comments