Part 106 - And finally ...

I was somewhat surprised to see that Triffids had taken over London since my last visit

I was dreading the flight back from Colombia. It's hard enough to sleep when I'm horizontal and it's dark, so I was pleasantly surprised to nod off to sleep around midnight, not long after take-off. And I was rather unpleasantly surprised to be woken up an hour later for a meal. There isn't even a name for that meal.

Like last time I decided to stay a few nights in London to get used to being back in the UK. I bought tickets to see the stage version of Drop the Dead Donkey - a TV show set in a news studio that I used to love back in the 90s. Amazingly, all the original cast were there, except the two that were dead. My cousin Amy - whom I hadn't seen in about 7 years - came along with me, and I also got to see her parents (also my cousins funnily enough) whom I hadn't seen in about 15 - so it was grand catching up with them. Shame I didn't get any photos. 

In fact, I only took two photos all day/night. This was before the show started ...


And this was the photo I took at the end.

I think I need a new camera

I also managed to catch up with probably my longest serving friends, Matt and his brother Dan, whose Gran used to live a few doors up from us in Belfast.  Matt was good enough to put me up for a couple of nights, and I felt more than a bit guilty when I rocked up to find their house was a literal building site, but they were more than hospitable.

Me, Dan, & Matt

For reason I couldn't quite work out, Matt also had free tickets to a Fulham vs Spurs match which was very entertaining for a neutral like me - less so for a Spurs fan like Matt. 

I tried my best to be a sympathetic friend as his team got horsed 3-0. 

I also found time to do my first parkrun in about 5,000 years. Fans of parkrun will probably recognise the name "Bushy Park" as being the park where the first parkrun started more than 20 years ago. Non-fans of parkrun probably won't give a shit. But all you need to know is despite the course being as flat as the Netherlands, my time was pish. Still, it was good to get back into running - Colombia is many things but a runner's paradise is not one of them. 


Then all that was left to do was to get a train up the road and wonder why I didn't stay a few more months in Colombia until the weather improved in Scotland. 

Back home in Glasgow. Yes, I am cold. 

Still, it was nice to be home, and after nearly two years on the road, I've got no plans to go anywhere for a while. 

Or do I?

Comments