Part 31 - Farewell Cusco and Peru

The "Cusco" cappuccino served up in my local coffee shop

The wonderful view from the coffee shop would have been even more wonderful if this person had ever moved.

While in Cusco, I met the first Scottish person of my entire trip. She loved Cusco so much, she stayed there and had a baby. As much as I loved the city, I wasn't really up for giving birth, so it was time for me to go too. All the friends I'd made on the Peruhop tour and the Salkantay trek had also left so it was definitely time.

 Peruhop pals 

Survivors from Salkantay

Before I left, I thought I'd squeeze in one more alpaca picture ...

You'll never guess what happened next

Yep

I even had to wash my money

And so, on Monday morning, I packed up my stuff and walked to the bus station. 

Pachacutec going in for a farewell hug

I should mention that although I already had a ticket to take me from Cusco to Puno, it was an overnight one and I didn't fancy another terrible night's sleep/arriving in a strange place at 5:00am, so I opted to travel independently. I got to the bus station with more than half an hour to spare. Sadly, my dream of a relaxing coffee and an empanada were dashed by some inexplicable delay collecting my ticket due to "reasons" and then a mad-dash to pay the 50p bus station exit tax that none of my fellow passengers knew about either. 

The bus was going to Puno, which is on Lake Titicaca. However, I heard that the Bolivian side of the lake was much nicer - and since I arrived late and was leaving early, this was the most noteworthy picture I took in Puno ... the view from my hotel window, which rivalled the view from my very first night of this trip

Can't really moan at £8 a night

And that was Peru. I spent quite a bit longer here than I expected, but Peru is massive, there is so much to see and do, and the people are so welcoming. And a special thank you to Aymeth - the tour guide from Peruhop - who typified the Peruvian people, and was one of the most cheerful and helpful people you could ever hope to meet. 

Me, Aymeth, and old Pachacutec again

Next stop. Bolivia!

Comments