Part 89 - London

Sitting in Bucharest airport, it felt weird to be going back to the UK after nearly a year away. People ask often ask me what I missed most when I was away? It wasn't family, friends, haggis, Irn Bru, or "normal" weather. It was actually the good old British 3-pin plug. 

You've no idea how many contraptions I've been carting about for charging electronic devices in foreign lands. Half the time they don't work, and even when they do, you sometimes need to erect some intricate scaffolding to wedge them into the shoddily installed sockets. Still, at least you know when it works, as you're rewarded with a shower of sparks leaping out the socket. 

Anyway, Bucharest Airport wins the dubious accolade for The Most Expensive Cappuccino of the entire trip (nearly 6 quid!). 


A pint would have been cheaper

Every time I go to London, I try to visit my favourite tourist attraction but sadly ...

The Houses of Scoundrels

... it was booked out, so I instead consoled myself by visiting the site of Shakespeare's original Globe Theatre, which I was thrilled to learn was now a car park. Still, at least they cobbled it. 

Close your eyes and be transported back to Elizabethan England

However, the main reason for visiting London was to catch up with a few friends, some pre-dating my mid-life crisis and others accumulated on my travels. First up, Annaliise, the Estonian lassie I met in South Korea. 


In fact, I met up with her twice, as the next morning I went to watch her at work shucking oysters and making venison burgers at Borough Market, which was much more interesting and enjoyable than I thought it might be!

Next up, it was off to some free festival in Brockwell Park to meet up with my old-chum-from-back-home Murray, whom I hadn't seen since before The Plague. He was on fine form, and sporting a headband for reasons that I never quite ascertained.

Maybe he was in training for Wimbledon

The highlight of the festival wasn't any of the acts, but was instead the Wall of Death which did feel suitably dangerous, especially for spectators. 



During my weekend, I also found time to squeeze in my first parkrun in nearly three months around a scorching hot Gladstone Park.


Next up was another journey south of the river to visit Emeline, with whom I travelled round Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam. I admired the view from her lovely apartment before trouncing at her at some board game I can't remember the name of (magnanimity is not my strong suit) and skipping back to my accommodation on the other side of London (as with the rest of this trip, its planning left something to be desired). 

I could sit and look at this view all day!

There were no peace signs on show after my emphatic victory

And on the final day, it was off to visit Rob, whom I met in Peru, and I'm rather ashamed to say I never mentioned before (although there is a picture of us having survived the Huacachina Death Buggies).


And later that day, off to Ealing for a pub quiz with another old friend, Lorie, who I hadn't seen for the best part of the decade. We were utterly robbed (don't remember the details) ...

... but I did win this pen for being a smart arse (again, can't remember why), so overall the night was a resounding success. 

Twice in one post

And that was that. Next stop, Glasgow, where this blog will terminate. 

Comments