Part 61 - Brisbane and Adelaide

Brisbane

The geographically astute amongst you might question why two massive cities 2,000km apart are being lumped together in one post. Well, the truth is, I didn't really do enough in either city to warrant a post on its own. And due to the vagaries of air travel, it was cheaper for me to stop at Adelaide for a couple of days than to fly over it).

After having my fingers and most other body parts burnt in Gold Coast, I spent the first day or so hiding from the fierce sun in Brisbane. However, Chrissie's dad David very kindly treated us to a river cruise which was a great way to see the city. 

The Story Bridge in Brisbane. Not quite as famous as its Sydney counterpart.

The robot appeared to enjoy himself. 

Brisbane's parkruns start at 7am - presumably to avoid the worst of the heat. However, it was incredibly busy, and had over 400 people running through a farmers' market, then a beer garden area, then along a quite narrow towpath. It didn't feel very safe. I also didn't get a photo but I think you've probably seen enough of them by now!

Sadly, my whistle-stop to Brisbane was at an end, so it was time to say goodbye to Chrissie and David - two more agreeable travelling companions I doubt I could ever hope to find. 

Cheerio old friends

Adelaide had a couple of interesting (and free!) museums and art galleries, although sadly, I never got a chance to visit the Lego exhibition they were doing.

Either this is an exhibit or someone's left some old rakes lying about

Nope. Me neither. 

This one's called Das swings unt roundabouts fur der kinder? Ja? Nein! Schweinhund!

Also, in the latest chapter in Richie Meeting Strangers Off The Internet And Hoping He Doesn't Get Murdered, had a couple of pints with a Scottish chap off a football forum who has made his home in Adelaide and was very good company.


On my final day, I managed to fulfil a life's ambition of visiting a town with a name that is a palindrome. Glenelg is a wee seaside town in Western Adelaide and reminds me very much of seaside towns back home. It even has a pier!


Sadly, no amusements or Punch and Judy shows were to be found.

Next up. My last stop in Australia - Perth. 

Comments