Part 60 - Gold Coast

When we get to the Gold Coast, our first port of call was a water park - and I don't think I'd ever really visited one before. How else could I explain my idiocy at getting brutally sunburnt? I didn't think the water would cancel out the sun's rays - more that all the lotion would wash off and I'd be under cover for most of the time. Sadly/happily, no pictures exist of any of us at the water park or my sunburn!

Anyway, long before the pain set in, we dropped off the campervan and checked out our next accommodation, which was a wee bit more salubrious than I think any of us were expecting. 

Unlike the motor home, I didn't feel the need to get my own hotel!

No less stunning at night!

We got a cracking view over quite a bit of Gold Coast. It did just seem to be massive buildings along the beach which seemingly went forever in both directions. We found out that they're actually pulling down perfectly good 10 storey buildings that look out onto the sea, simply because they'll make more money demolishing smaller buildings and building bigger ones. 

It was also certainly enjoyable peering over our massive balcony at all the ghastly little oiks below. It goes without saying that the hotel/apartment had a lovely pool, and all the staff were lovely (we apparently managed to avoid the hard-sell to buy a timeshare there). 

Chrissie had booked us another tour, to a wildlife sanctuary where you also got to get up close to the koalas. They really are sound wee guys. 

Unlike in NSW, in Queensland, you are allowed to gently hug a koala. 

The reason why he's laughing was I'd just apologised for resting my hand on his thigh

Just kidding. Here's the real pic ...

Me and the real koala. No inappropriate touching took place. 

Most, if not all, of the animals here were local to Australia.

Animal Hospital Live. Thankfully not with Rolf Harris.

Sadly, Tasmanian Devils are becoming endangered due to facial tumours most of them get

They also let you feed the kangaroos and wallabies, although to be honest, since people were queueing up to feed them, I'm surprised they weren't the fattest marsupials in Australia. 

Looks like something out Alien

Chrissie also took me to a karaoke bar one night. Of course, she turned out to be really good at it and got a huge round of applause. Meanwhile, my rendition of Underworld's Born Slippy went down like a cup of cold sick. What a terrible choice of song mine was. 

Thankfully, the video of my attempt has been sealed in concrete and chucked in the ocean.

Gold Coast is pretty lively at night. All sorts of folk playing beach volleyball and doing street-shows. I've no idea whether it occurred all along the strip, or just the bit we were in, but it certainly made for an interesting night-time stroll.

Think I'll take this up as a career when I get back to Scotland

Next up, a short bus ride to Brisbane, where I had to bid adieu to my travel companions. 

Comments