Part 40 - Patagonia

After fleeing the Bates' Motel, my journey to Patagonia was largely uneventful. I was staying in a town called Puerto Natales, which had its own wee airport, and before I knew it, I was in my hostel (actually a hostAl, although I'm not quite sure of the difference). 

Puerto Natales is a charming, albeit quite touristy town, situated a few hundred miles from the bottom of South America, it reminded me of Skye or Donegal a wee bit. Surrounded by hills/mountains, there was a lot of daylight due to the time of year, it was rather windy, and more than a little baltic. It was even cool enough to go for a run which I hadn't done in months. 

I didn't know National Geographic did cruises        

One of the main selling points of Puerto Natales is its proximity to Torres del Paine national park. Torres del Paine (or The Blue Towers, not The Torrents of Pain) has a few towers, none of which are blue. Still, the national park is stunning. Sadly, all the walking treks were sold out for the days I was there, but since I'd crippled myself running again, this was probably a good thing. 

Our tour guide, Marion, was as cheerful as she was knowledgeable and passionate about the park and area, so the tour was one of the best ones I'd been on.

The delightful Marion (and me)

She even explained why the water is different colours
 
(I think it was due to melted glaciers. Or it might have been dissolved minerals.)

Took this photo and realised that there were loads of people ruining it

So I told them all to GTF

On the road home, we also visited the Milodon Cave, where the remains of a giant extinct sloth were found and identified by Charles Darwin.. It stood 2-3 metres high (or 4-5 metres going by the statue they had in Puerto Natales), and was quite a formidable creature. 

Mon then

Milo's cave

I only had a couple of days in Puerto Natales before it was time to move on to the Argentinian part of Patagonia. The bus journey across the board was very much more civilised (i.e. quick), than the trip from Bolivia to Chile ...

I arrived in Argentina two days too late for the World Cup final, and two seconds too late for this photo 

... and before long, I was in the town of el Calafete, on the shore of the largest lake in Argentina (imaginatively named Lake Argentino). 


The town was also very touristy, although that's not necessarily a bad thing to a gringo like me who dances a small jig when struggling to understand what is being said and someone pipes up in English much better than my Spanish. It could also be quite expensive if you only get your money through official channels, but thankfully I'd bought 100,000 pesos off an Irish chap in my hostel, which will keep me going, but only for a few days (I'll expand on the mess that is the Argentinian economy later!). I felt like a drug dealer walking about with that kind of money. 

Monopoly money

Worth about 3p

Upon wandering around the town, I stumbled upon a rather bizarre park, dedicated to Francisco Moreno - an Argentinian explorer after whom a nearby glacier is named (more of that in a moment). 

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but the park made him out to be quite the Doctor Dolittle. 

A charming, if somewhat unlikely, scene

The park was also home to lots of rusting machines of a bygone era ...

... and I've no idea why

As mentioned, the big local attraction is the Pertio Moreno glacier. A glacier that is confounding its critics by not receding like all its peers, although nobody is really sure why. It was certainly bloody cold enough not to melt, although that was mainly the wind chill. 

Whilst the park and its glacier certainly was worth a visit, it kind of reminded of the Rook sketch from The Two Ronnies ("not the sort of restaurant to come to if you don't like rook"). First we stopped off at a glacier viewpoint ...


... then we got on a boat to have a look at the glacier (it was either that or waiting on the minibus for more than an hour) ...
There were even some nutters walking on the glacier

... then finally we got taken to the visitor centre where there were miles and miles of walkways that let you view the glacier from slightly different angles.  



I even witnessed the glacier "calving", i.e. bits falling off it. I wanted to take this mini glacier home with me, but I didn't think he'd survive the journey, so I chucked him back in the sea ...

... though I didn't see if he swam back to his mother

And that was Patagonia. I'd have liked to stay here longer, but since it's nearly Christmas, it's time to go back to a big city, in this case Buenos Aires. Or at least, that's the plan. My plane is at least 7 hours late, but I guess that serves me right for booking with a bunch of fly-by-night characters, if you'll excuse the pun. 

Comments