Part 29 - Cusco

Not sure what this is but I want it. Only $8,000.

Arriving here at rush hour (drivers here use their horns more than their indicators) in the pissing rain, I had no idea how nice a city Cusco was until the following morning. Located 3,400m above sea level in the Andes, it has warm but not too hot weather, friendly locals who helped me with Spanish, and lots of charming streets and squares. 

Cusco by day
Cusco by night

My accommodation (Hostel el Grial) was situated at the top of a cobble-stoned street and very comfortable. The free breakfast even included some crazy cereal that was a bit like popcorn.

The road to mi casa

Cassi was a very pleasant lassie who patiently listened to me while I massacred her native language

It's hard to choose which tours to do because there are so many of them, but everyone recommended the Sacred Valley tour, and it was pretty amazing. They managed to pack a lot into one day, including visiting three separate Inca sites (Pisac, Ollantaytambo, and Chinchero) which were all spectacular in their own way. They all featured different types of terraces, which was the Incan solution to farming on steep slopes. 

An Incan house high up in Pisac

The weird looking structure half way up was used to store food. Quite the trek when you're peckish.

The tour also featured a trip to a silversmith (which was basically an excuse to try and sell you some jewellery) and a trip to a weaver's house (the same). Not only was the weaver a dab hand at making clothes, she could also belt out a tune. 

More chums I accumulated!

Another tour took us to some salt flats where people gather salt all day. I never found out if they were employees of the saltaria, or whether it was a similar arrangement to "pick your own" back in Scotland. It was so fascinated by the place I even bought some salty chocolate at the inevitable trip to the gift shop. 
I could have watched these people gather salt all day

I also bought this. Who could refuse a fridge magnet depicting Optimus Prime visiting Machu Picchu?

Another crazy terrace


The centre of the old town in Cusco is awash with walking tours, museums, and religious buildings (as well as hundreds of people trying to sell you massages, cigarettes, paintings, and cocaine). The monastery museum was pretty interesting - showing how nuns lived in the Middle Ages.  

No idea what's going on here though

The walking tours varied in quality, depending on who was taking it. But there was certainly no shortage of things to do in and around Cusco. In fact, as I write this, I've been here over a week and I'm in no rush to leave. Although I'll have to, as I'm leaving soon for a 5 day trek to the Salkantay mountain and Machu Picchu, which will probably merit a post of its own.

Comments