Part 28 - The road to Cusco - Nazca & Arequipa

Not long after setting off from the oasis, we stopped at a winery where they make Pizco (Pizco Sours is a famous drink in Peru). Despite it not yet being lunchtime, there was very little vineyard touring and quite a lot more plying you with booze before expertly guiding you towards the gift shops. After lunch - and watching a chap dancing (not sure if he was full of Pizco), it was off to Nazca. 

Nazca is home to the Nazca lines - some world famous graffiti drawn some 2,000 years ago that's only visible from high up. This time, I heeded the Foreign Office advice and didn't go up in one of the shady flights (which apparently is a bit of "vomit comet") and instead saw a couple of them from a viewing platform. 
The lizard

Whilst it's a pleasant wee town, Nazca doesn't have much else going for it, except it's lack of rain (4mm p.a), some underground aqueducts. and a nearby sand dune that is nearly the height of Ben Nevis. Still having nightmares about my sand buggy experience, I didn't take up the offer of climbing it in a vehicle. 

Me in an aqueduct. Terrible photo - you can't actually see the water or the fish swimming in it

Some more Nazca graffiti. Bloody vandals.

The bus didn't leave Nazca until 6pm the following day, as it was an overnight trip to Arequipa. This would also be my first foray into high altitudes. The journey could have been worse - I'm not sure if it was my terrible chat, BO, or just sheer luck, but I managed to bag a double seat to myself, although it still didn't mean a good night sleep. We arrived at Arequipa at 4:30am - when it was still pitch dark and absolutely nothing was open. 

My hostel in Arequipa was quite shabby and run-down. And pretty filthy, it was the kind of place where you wipe your feet on the way out. Still, I couldn't give the guy (who seemed to be a one man band and run the whole place himself) anything but a glowing review, since he got out his scratcher at 5am and let me go and sleep in my room, long before any check-in. 

Arequipa is another pleasant Peruvian city, and again, quite large (around 1 million people). The cathedral and Plaza de Armas (every Peruvian city seems to have an "Army Square") were well worth a visit.
The mountains surrounding Arequipa

A massive bell(end)

The main square

Arequipa - and Peru in general - has dozens of crazy fruits that you never see anywhere else. I tried quite a few - a couple were pretty minging - but a few others were delicious. Shame I can't remember the names of any of them. 
A tower of fruit

So far, the altitude (around 2,300m) wasn't really a problem, although you could definitely notice the lack of oxygen in the air. However, I signed up for a trip (leaving at 3am) that would take you to the dizzying heights of around 4,500m. 

It certainly had some nice scenery

At least two of us were having a nice time

Nice to find someone more ginger than me in Peru

Colca Canyon is the place to go to spot condors. I've since learned that the reason they hang about there is because the park rangers bury carrion in the area for the condors, but I wasn't complaining. They are the largest land birds in the world, although you wouldn't know it from this rather pathetic video I took.

This condor was actually willing to eat out your hand. 

Colca Canyon

At this altitude (4,000+ metres), even walking up some steps, makes you feel dizzy and light-headed. Not a good sign for hiking up to Machu Picchu, but I've a while yet to acclimatise. 

The advantage of starting a tour at 3am is that you can fit a lot of stuff in, which included the world's crappest breakfast. We went to some hot springs, which would have been lovely if the temperature hadn't been close to 30 degrees. We also got to see a volcano explode (you can hear my surprise in the video), although apparently this is a daily occurrence (and incredible timing by the tour guide to take us there at the exact moment). 
Back on the bus ... next stop, Cusco (via Puno to pick up some people - which added a few hours to the journey). 

Comments